Buckinghamshire Council successfully bid for further funding under the Rough Sleeper Initiative to end homelessness in Buckinghamshire. We are therefore looking to expand our team of Outreach Workers across the county, to provide intensive support to rough sleepers, often with challenging complex issues.
Key Aspects of the service
- Reduce the number of people sleeping rough in Buckinghamshire.
- Rapidly rehouse rough sleepers.
- Prevent rough sleepers returning to the streets.
- Deliver an effective service that is tailored to an individual’s needs.
- Ensure clients are financially secure and have access to welfare benefits.
- Ensure that mental health/addiction issues are addressed.
Key outcomes for clients
- Maintain dignity, independence, and control, and be treated as equal citizens
- Make a positive contribution and feel purposeful and empowered.
- Re-establishing and reconnecting rough sleepers with their family and friend networks and local communities.
- Have a healthy lifestyle that maintains physical and mental well-being including addressing mental health and substance misuse issues.
- Cope effectively with difficult life events.
- Live in a place that promotes a good quality of life and a sense of safety.
- Access services including digital services and support when needed.
What you’ll be doing
The Rough Sleeper Outreach Workers are responsible for verifying rough sleepers at their bedded down site and then providing assertive outreach to assist them to improve their current situation and access accommodation, treatment, primary care, and other relevant services that will move them away from a street-based lifestyle.
What you’ll need:
- To be well-organised, IT literate with good communication skills, with the ability to remain calm and patient in challenging circumstances.
- The ability to motivate clients using a person centred, motivational approach which meets the needs of the individual, therefore contributing to the overall success of this service.
- And above all, a natural ability to help make the lives of others more fulfilling and your desire to work in an environment where the work can be hard, but also fun and rewarding.
A full driving license is essential.